• 回覆
  • 收藏

世界文絡 港產英詩人 憶亡妻詩集奪大獎 (後附英文訪問)

字體大小: 正常 放大

馬上註冊,結交更多好友,享用更多功能,讓你輕鬆玩轉社區。

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
本帖最後由 心雪 於 2010-1-29 16:26 編輯

英國詩人克里斯托弗.里德(見圖)前日憑藉詩集《七零八落》(A Scattering),出人意表地摘得英國科斯塔年度圖書獎(Costa Book of the Year),並獲得3萬英鎊(約37.5萬港元)獎金。反而得獎呼聲高唱的愛爾蘭著名作家托伊賓,卻意外地與大獎擦肩而過。

詩集《七零八落》是里德對已故妻子露辛達.甘恩的懷念之作,她於2005年因癌症去世。詩集分為4部分,第一部分寫於妻子跟病魔抗爭的最後階段,其餘部分寫於妻子去世之後。

里德在倫敦的儀式上領獎後說:「獲得這個重要文學獎項,我既驚且喜。這本書本身很難寫,但自從它落入出版商手上,便擁有非常快樂的時刻……並獲得多個獎項的提名。」

《七零八落》引讀者強烈共鳴

此次大獎的評委會主席、愛爾蘭小說家哈特將《七零八落》譽為一部「傑作」。她說:「我們認為里德將個人的不幸遭遇融入藝術創作,詩中所反映出的獨一無二的情感和不幸境遇,引起讀者強烈共鳴。」

現年60歲的里德出生於香港,現任英國赫爾大學創意寫作課教授,此前他已經兩次獲得過科斯塔年度圖書獎提名。

科斯塔年度圖書獎前身是設立於1971年的惠特布雷德圖書獎,評獎範圍僅限於英國和愛爾蘭兩國的作家。科斯塔年度圖書獎分成5大類別:處女作小說(first novel)、小說(novel)、傳記文學(biography)、詩歌(poetry)和兒童作品(children’s book),每個類別的得獎者可獲5,000英鎊(約6.3萬港元)獎金,評委會再從5位得獎者中選出大獎得主。

今年的科斯塔年度圖書獎的大熱門為愛爾蘭作家托伊賓的小說《布魯克林》(Brooklyn),講述50年代一名愛爾蘭少女飄洋過海到美國謀生的經歷。

gray[/hr]
轉載自:http://paper.wenweipo.com/2010/01/28/GJ1001280014.htm

Poet Christopher Reid talks about winning the Costa book of the year
Christopher Reid on how he turned the death of his wife into a prize-winning poetry collection

Do you feel a kinship with grieving elephants, I ask Christopher Reid? "Absolutely. I'm empathetic with anything that's clumsy or inarticulate." This isn't quite as daft a question as it sounds: on Tuesday evening, the 60-year-old poet won the £30,000 Costa Book of the Year prize with a heart-breaking volume called A Scattering, which is a tribute to his wife, the actor Lucinda Gane, who died from brain cancer in 2005. And the scattering Reid has in mind isn't so much the scattering of ashes, but what bereft elephants do when they find the bones of their relatives picked clean by scavengers.

"I don't know if you've seen the films of what elephants do when they find these bones," says Reid, "but it's terribly moving." He describes it in the ­book's title poem: elephants, broken-hearted and clumsy, "hook up bones with their trunks and chuck them this way and that way". The poem goes on:

And their scattering has an air

of deliberate ritual, ancient and necessary.

Their great size too, makes them the very

embodiment of grief, while the play of their trunks

lends sprezzatura.

Reid invokes these lumbering ­elephants in tribute to Lucinda, who was 55 when she died four years ago, writing, "may their spirit guide me as I place/ my own sad thoughts in new, hopeful arrangements".

A Scattering consists of four poetic sequences. The first was written during Lucinda's final illness and describes a holiday the couple took on Crete after discovering that she had only a year and a half to live. The second, about his bedside vigil, was written six months after her death. The third, a series of vignettes called A Widower's Dozen, finds him adrift in loss.

Among the most affecting of those vignettes is one in which Reid wonders why we cry. "I really can't explain tears, though I shed enough of them," he says now. "Somebody told me animals cry because they need to signal they are vulnerable to other ­animals. But speaking as an animal, I don't ­always want to show vulnerability ­because it opens you up to being attacked."

­Another vignette finds him wandering past the hospital where "she willed her body to medical science", musing to himself: "that's where my dead wife lives. I hope they're treating her kindly." Her posthumous fate, suggests Reid (who has no religious faith), seemed preferable to heaven or hell:

My wife is in there, somewhere, doing practical work:

her organs and tissues are educating young doctors

or helping researchers outwit the disease that outwitted her.

So it's a hallowed patch of London for me now.

The book's last sequence, Lucinda's Way, is the sweetest – a fond remembrance of a lovely sounding marriage, one in which she never threw away a scrap of his writing "without kissing it first", and in which Reid, as he puts it, was "second always to you, the dashing heroine".

"By the time I had written the first three sequences," he says, "it became clear that the thing was to address her and I knew that would be necessary for myself spiritually and emotionally."

Reid denies, though, that writing A Scattering was therapeutic. "The problem never goes away. Writing does perhaps help put your own feelings in order. Forster wrote in Aspects of the Novel, 'How do I know what I think ­until I set down what I say?' That's a very common experience: thoughts get form in the writing of them down. I was conscious of the different stages of grieving – that is what the book is about."

The book, then has double function: a tribute to her and part of grief's ­unending work for him. A Scattering, though, is not merely a solemn elegy. There are marital jokes, impish rhymes and wilful metaphors that strain, in their jaunty inventiveness, against the harrow­ing subject matter. "I wanted to get the spirit of our marriage. Lucinda was ­always insistent on that – that writers be truthful. She liked so much to laugh."

Reid, along with his one-time mentor Craig Raine, is an exponent of so-called Martian poetry, which self-consciously strives to use curious visual metaphors and to describe the familiar in ­unfamiliar and insightful ways, as though through the eyes of a Martian (Raine's 1979 ­collection of poetry A Martian Sends a Postcard Home is a key text).

And, though the Guardian's reviewer rightly argued that this book is the least "Martian" of Reid's poetry, A Scattering is shot through with unlikely metaphor and unfamiliar takes on the quotidian. That Reid should find ­sprezzatura (Italian for a kind of studied nonchalance) in ­elephant bereavement is surely Martian. "I can't help but write Martian," he says, "though I am somewhat ­naturalised to human society these days." As if to clinch the point, Reid ­directs me to the key metaphor in the book's first sequence, The ­Flowers of Crete, in which the ­seemingly ­unvanquishable Cretan ­minotaur is a metaphor for Lucinda's indestructible sarcoma. The unbearable difference, of course, is that while the minotaur can be slain, Lucinda's cancer can't:

The first was dispatched by a trick with a ball of string

the second cannot be reached by medical science.

What's most striking about the ­poems, to me, is that the dying Lucinda emerges as the life force of the relation­ship, while her husband seems ­bewildered into stasis. "That is what happened," muses Reid. "She was the élan vital in our relationship. For about a year I was dancing attendance on ­Lucinda or prostrate with grief. Which is what I was: prostrate."

We're sitting over coffee in his north ­London home. With his wispy hair and kind, boyish eyes contradicting his forehead's filigree wrinkles, all he needs is a ­battered top hat to make him look like a gold-hearted Dickensian goodie, a Pip of late middle age. This house figures in the poem. Reid writes: "I live in a memory/ the size and shape of a house." He continues to live here alone (the couple had no children), haunted by heartening memories. Reid, for ­instance, writes of how often he and his wife passed each other on the stairs:

While the innumerable air kisses

we exchanged in passing

remain suspended to this day,

each one an efficacious blessing.

Out of the kitchen window is the garden in which Lucinda, whom he ­describes in the book as "a lone Eve", would lose herself to planning, planting and pruning. Reid tells me he has been pleased to see the snowdrops and helle­bores that she planted have survived the recent snow. "You're still to be found there if I look carefully," he writes of the garden he admits he neglects.

"I was in awe of her, certainly," he says, looking into his coffee cup. "That was part of our relationship." They met, both aged 27, he an aspiring poet, she an aspiring actor. The venue was a dinner party at which both were ­subject to a piece of matchmaking gone awry (it sounds, as Reid describes it, like something from Jane Austen's Emma). Christopher and Lucinda found that they fancied each other more than the guests they'd been set up with. They were married for 30 years. Seventeen years before her death, she suffered breast cancer. "That time she was ­angry with the ­cancer. When she got brain cancer and was told she was ­going to die, she was more accepting."

During their marriage, Lucinda's ­acting career never flourished quite as either hoped. She became most famous for her performance as a science teacher in Grange Hill. In A Scattering, Reid laments:

But I never saw you in either Shakespeare or Chekhov,

your two great loves.

I never saw you in the parts they wrote for you. Nobody did.

Sometimes, as in the text just quoted, A Scattering makes the reader feel they're shamefully earwigging on a private conversation. Why did you decide to publish? "I suppose the ­answer is that I'm a professional writer and I like making books. I actually made books of these poems for private circulation and then, when Craig [Raine, as editor of Areté, the arts ­tri-quarterly magazine and book ­publisher] offered to print it, I was very happy. He takes such delight in producing beautiful books."

Didn't you have compunctions about making your marriage and your wife's death so public? "I don't feel guilty in writing about it, though it is strange that my best work came from the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I assumed that that was my task, what I had to do. She knew I would write about her fatal illness." Indeed, Reid had written about her before: "She said to me once: 'Why do you ­always write about me when I'm ill or in bed?' She would, I think, have liked what I have written."

I ask Reid if he has been able to write anything beyond the shadow of grief. By way of answer he tells me about his recently published comic narrative poem The Song of Lunch, about a publisher going out for a boozy lunch with an old girlfriend. "It was fun to write about an incident like that in as much detail as possible. But then I realised that it was a reworking of Orpheus and Eurydice, about the failed attempt to bring a loved one back to life. So I'm in a sense still writing about Lucinda."

Reid says he is pleased that a book of poetry won the Costa, though never expected, as he sat in Quaglino's ­restaurant at the prizegiving on Tuesday night, that it would. He didn't even put a few bob on himself to win, though he could have got good odds. "I've already lost two poetry compe­titions this month [the Forward prize and the TS Eliot], so this was a nice ­surprise," he says.

It's also one that restores poetry to a more prominent role in British literary life than it has had for a while. "It's hard to imagine, isn't it," says Reid, "that poetry could be in fashion? But in Byron's day, thanks overwhelmingly to Byron, it was. My winning this prize is a nice reminder that not all books are written in prose." But it's also worth pointing out that on the rare occasions poetry does triumph in mainstream ­literary awards such as the Costa, the judges usually go for some kind of elegy. Thus, Reid is only the fourth poet to win the overall Costa (or Whitbread as it was known under its earlier sponsor) and of those four, three have been honoured for elegies. There was Douglas Dunn's Elegies in 1985, Ted Hughes's Birthday Letters in 1998 and now A Scattering.

Was Reid influenced by Hughes's last book of poetry? After all, he is steeped in the Yorkshireman's life and work and has edited his letters. Surely there is a close parallel between A Scattering and Birthday Letters, the latter a collection of poems that Hughes wrote to his dead wife Sylvia Plath? "It didn't cross my mind at the time, but there's a strange correspondence, yes. Ted's poems, though, are not so much elegiac as documentary."

I ask Reid about a line in A Scattering in which he writes, with great love, about Lucinda's performance in her last days in the hospice:

It was inspired

brave, funny and subtle

of her to interpret

the role of patient

so flat against type –

cheering her nurses,

feeding advice and support

to friends, encouraging

her husband to address his

possible future

with something of her hope.

It's not in his nature,

but he can try.

Did her encouragement work? "It did and does," says Reid. "I'm getting better at it. Thanks to Lucinda. Always thanks to Lucinda: she made my life three-dimensional. Without her, I would have fallen flat."

gray[/hr]
Refer to: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/ ... d-poet-costa-winner
發新帖
發表評論
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊