• 收藏

[世界文絡] [附局部中譯]Spare us your misery, Orange prize judge tells authors

字體大小: 正常 放大
心雪 超級版主 2010-3-20 20:11:28 灘主

馬上註冊,結交更多好友,享用更多功能,讓你輕鬆玩轉社區。

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有帳號?註冊

x
本帖最後由 心雪 於 2010-3-20 22:44 編輯

Daisy Goodwin says reading the 129 entries to this year's competition sometimes drove her to despair
Daisy Goodwin說:閱讀129份參選今年比賽的作品令她絶望

To book lovers, it might appear to be a delicious, if demanding, treat – the opportunity to devour more than 100 novels by women writers and award one of them the prestigious Orange prize.
對於愛書之人,這似乎是一件令人開懷的、或許要求嚴格的宴請── 一個讓你品嘗超過100個由女作家書寫的小說的機遇,並為其中之一頒授被受尊敬的Orange Prize。

But the chair of this year's judging panel has launched a stinging criticism of the current "grim" crop of women's fiction – complaining that female authors appear to have suffered a collective sense of humour failure.
但今年的評審委員主席已對現時「令人不舒服」的女性小說成品作出一針對性的指責── 投訴女作家們呈現出一種在集體意識上的心景衰退的折磨。

"There's not been much wit and not much joy, there's a lot of grimness out there," Daisy Goodwin, the author and TV producer, told the Guardian. "There are a lot of books about Asian sisters. There are a lot of books that start with a rape. Pleasure seems to have become a rather neglected element in publishing."
「小說裡頭沒有多少風趣與喜悅,卻有很多冷酷無情的事。」作家兼電視製作人Daisy Goodwin,向Guardian透露。「有很多關於亞洲姊妹題材的著作,而且很多書都是由一次強奸作為開頭。壓力似乎己變成出版上一個相當被忽視的元素。」

Reading the 129 entries to this year's competition had sometimes driven Goodwin to despair, she said, as she revealed this year's longlist. "I think the misery memoir has had its day, but there are an awful lot of books out there which had not a shred of redemption in them. I'm more of a light and shade person and there does need to be some joy, not just misery."
當Goodwin揭曉今年的初選名單時,她說閱讀今年那129份參選比賽作品有時令她絶望。「我想那痛苦的回憶錄已佔有它的日子,但仍有一驚人數量的書籍裡頭沒有一片一點的補償。我是一個比較陽光而且受庇蔭的人,需要一些喜悅,而不是只有痛苦。」

"I was surprised at how little I laughed … and the ones where there was humour were much appreciated I can tell you."
「連我自己也驚訝於我鮮有的歡笑......而我可以告訴你,那些帶有幽默感的作品令我更加賞識。」

She accused publishers of "lagging behind what the public want", of not getting that readers do want pleasure and do want enjoyment when they read. "There comes a point halfway through the process where you think: 'Is it me or them?' You just can't bear it any more. And then you come across this joyful book."
她指控出版商「對於大眾需要甚麼的觀念已經過時」,不了解讀者閱讀時想得到壓力還是喜悅。「引致閱讀的中途你會思考:『這是我還是他們呢?』你已經不能再忍受下去了。然後你選擇轉看令人開心的書籍。」

Her frustrations aside, Goodwin said she and her fellow judges were proud of the 20-strong longlist,  revealed today. She called it a "muscular" list, full of "pleasurable" and varied books. It includes some familiar books, notably Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, which won the Man Booker, and Sarah Waters's The Little Stranger, which was shortlisted. Seven are longlisted for their debut novels – among them the film producer Rosie Alison, whose book The Very Thought of You has not had a single national newspaper review.
撇開她的失意,Goodwin說她和跟隨她的一班評審為今天揭曉的20強初選名單感到驕傲。她更稱之為「強健」的名單充滿令人快樂而且多姿多彩的書籍。其中包括一些為人熟悉的書籍,顯眼如Hilary Mantel曾經贏得Man Booker的Wolf Hall,以及曾在Man Booker總決選名單上Sarah Waters的The Little Stranger。初選名單上共七本處女作,其中為電影製作人Rosie Alisonh的The Very Thought of You尚未有任何國家的報紙上有有關之評論。

The other first novels are Eleanor Catton for The Rehearsal; Laila Lalami for Secret Son; Nadifa Mohamed for Black Mamba Boy; Amy Sackville for The Still Point; Kathryn Stockett for The Help and Attica Locke for Black Water Rising which represents a genre rarely seen at literary prizes – it's a thriller.

The former Orange winner Andrea Levy is longlisted for The Long Song and there are former shortlisted novelists in the form of Sadie Jones for Small Wars, Mantel, Waters and Barbara Kingsolver for The Lacuna. The most surprising omissions are probably the 2008 Orange winner Rose Tremain, not there for Trespass, as well as there being no Anne Michaels or Valerie Martin. The longlist is completed by Clare Clark, for Savage Lands; Amanda Craig for Hearts and Minds; Roopa Farooki for The Way Things Look to Me; Rebecca Gowers for The Twisted Heart; MJ Hyland for This is How; Maria McCann for The Wilding; Lorrie Moore for A Gate at the Stairs; and Monique Roffey for The Woman on the Green Bicycle.

The judges, who also include Julia Neuberger, Michele Roberts, Miranda Sawyer and Alexandra Shulman, will announce a shortlist on 20 April.

Infromation from:http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/ ... prize-judge-authors

評審員中途便公開表示對參選作品不滿,  是極為少見的。
究竟這位Daisy 是何許人也?哈哈,當然不是無名小卒。
她的後台,就是BBC 電視台,她是主持節目好多年的。而且,是靚女一名。
她編了好幾本詩選,也教過人寫詩。她怎怕得罪那班初登文壇的女作家呢?
他朝有日,她們一定要靠這類接近文學的傳媒人來宣傳也。
發新帖
發表評論
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊